Today (yes, today, Christmas Eve) is my 29th birthday and I’m feeling weirder about it than I thought I would. I get a little panicky every time I think about all the things I haven’t accomplished yet, but at the same time, can also look back at how much I’ve done in this little life of mine so far.
I mean really, I probably had the most personal life milestones happen in this decade than will in any other with graduating from college, getting married, starting my first “big girl” job, buying my first (second, and third) home, having a baby and oh so much more.
I’m at a good stage right now and I’m not going to lie, I’m a little fearful of the change passing years will bring. Not to get all deep on ya here so quick, but I mean, everyone I love and couldn’t live without are alive and well right now in this very moment. I’ve come to realize that’s a pretty big deal.
So on this birthday of mine, I thought it would be fun to list out 29 things I’ve learned in 29 years. I feel like 58 year old me may chuckle when I look back on this list in 29 years, and probably have so much to add. No particular order on the below, I just listed out what popped into my brain as I went…
1. When you let your faith slip, your life gets slippery.
2. Love. Just love everyone you have at this time in your life so, so hard. Tell them this, show them this with hugs and phone calls and letters.
3. Don’t wait, there’s never a perfect time. You’re only guaranteed this very moment and no more.
4. Dogs are good for your soul, I prefer to have one around at all times. 🙂
5. Invest in pieces (clothes or furniture) and don’t waste money on lots of little things.
6. Set goals and plan out your future. But have a sense of humor when it comes to those goals, because it won’t all work out according to plan.
7. Be selfish every now and then. Investing in yourself is the only way to stay sane and continue to grow.
8. It’s ok to say no for no good reason.
9. Tell your significant other you love them and give them a hug and a kiss every single day.
10. As soon as things get comfortable, it’s time for change.
11. That said, stop and enjoy that moment of comfortability for a minute.
12. Get outside.
13. Travel, even if it’s an hour away from where you live. Getting out of your zone is good.
14. Write things down. From day-to-day tasks to moments you want to savor forever.
15. Quality, not quantity when it comes to friends. And invest in those you really want to keep around.
16. From conception, the gift of life is the absolute most amazing thing on this good green earth. Cherish it when you yourself are blessed with this gift, or when those around you are blessed.
17. Celebrate!!!!! #alltheexclamations #allthechampagne #alltheconfetti #fornogoodreason
18. Put yourself out there. With new friends and business opportunities.
19. The best place to clear your head is by the water.
20. Stress is the devil.
21. Sometimes you just need a glass of rosé at 11AM (+ you can always count on your friends Kathy Lee and Hoda to drink it with you). This is of course if you’re not working or driving!
22. You’re more productive when you have your nails done.
23. Sitting on the floor and playing with your little is the best thing you can do for them and for you every day, I’m convinced.
24. A build on #15. It’s okay to lose friends and cut some of them out of your life. If they’re causing more stress, aka the devil per #20, then it’s time to say goodbye.
25. If you’re lucky, your wedding day will not be the best day of your life.
26. Say thank you and really mean it. Even better, write a thank you letter even if it was just for a phone call that made your day.
27. Being constantly optimistic and perky does not mean you’re naive, unexperienced and stupid. But if you are this way, you’ll have to convince people you’re not any of those last three things more often than you realize.
28. Make eye contact. Smile. Say hello. Be nice. Don’t lie.
29. Everything happens for a reason, good or bad. We’re just a teeny tiny piece in God’s much larger plan.
Leave a Reply